yum 2.1.0

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 18:36:03 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 14:05 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:41 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > GYUM is a UI abomination, but otherwise, it works.  I sent in a big list
> > > of UI suggestions and reasoning to the GYUM devs and never got a
> > > response - no idea if they plan on fixing the UI to be sane or leaving
> > > it the ugly, unusable mess that it is.
> > >
> > > It'd probably be easier to just write a fresh GUI from scratch using the
> > > proper tools, especially if yum 2.1.0 is as easy to wrap as Seth is
> > > indicating.
> >
> > Here's a wacky idea, What about using system-config-packages as the
> > front end?
>
> Ya, that would work, too.  ;-)
>
> Better also if you can get system-install-packages hooked up with those
> two tools, so that when I grab a package from somewhere other than a
> registered yum repository, dependencies can still be resolved and
> installed.

Funny, system-install-packages will resolve with the system packages
(using the same stuff as system-config-packages; realistically, they're
the same code with slightly different code paths for UI and one or two
other things).  The hope with hooking yum into things would be for this
to be possible :)

> It'd also be nice if yum supported 'temporary' repositories that were
> passed to it on the command line or through library calls, so, for
> example, an application RPM could include some meta-data pointing toa
> repository containing dependencies, so users don't have to a) manually
> add the repository to their yum.conf or b) manually download all the
> dependencies.

Hrmmm, that's an interesting thought.  Although with yum 2.1, you can
just grab a snippet and drop it in /etc/yum.repos.d (instead of having
to modify /etc/yum.conf) which makes it a little bit easier to begin
with.

Jeremy