i486 base architecture

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 16:09:34 UTC 2004

> >>yeah just make the i686 rpms be i386 ones with a Require: cpu(cmov)
> >>

> >Ignoring the severe technical problems that it would create (It'd
> >break _everything_ and be way too much work to implement), how about
> >.ia32.rpm for everything that is .i386 now and use i?86.rpm for stuff
> >that requires a specific cpu?
>
> No, Requires: cpu(cmov) breaks nothing, it's just another strcmp to rpm.
> Your expectations are what is confusing you. Yes, there would be a lot
> of confusion for a short period of time, but as Arjan has pointed out,
> there are only a handful of packages that need to carry the dependency.

RPM isn't the only thing that touches files though.  Lots of stuff
doesn't expect that it'll find 2 i386 packages, so it'll dump them to
the same filename.  I know it sounds silly, but having the arch
difference means it's easy to generate non-colliding filenames.

That's not to say we shouldn't do the "Requires: cpu(cmov)" as _well_,
since it could obviously be helpful in many situations.

--
        Peter