Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:41:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:22:53 -0500, Darrin Thompson <darrint at progeny.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 19:05 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>

> > While i am all for the *idea*, what happens if your X11 server breaks
> > down and you *have* to use VIM to "save" it? While i am not opposed to
> > creating an easily learned api for config-file configuration, i am
> > *strongly* opposed to not be able to hack into that xorg.conf file from
> > a crude command line (hell, i have vim'ed config files with /bin/bash as
> > my init process and a half borked kernel that would boot 1/5 times...).
> >
> > I don't want my config's to be put all in the hands of some program, to
> > *have* to use a config program (with all the odds and ends it migth
> > have...) in order to fix a broken config. Now imagine that program
> > needed another program, which needed a service wich needed ... the thing
> > you where just trying to fix.
> >

> You don't *have* to use a config program, the keys are all vim hackable.
> It might be a royal pain, however, to add a bunch of keys with an
> editor. Tweaks would be easy enough though.
>
> http://elektra.sourceforge.net/#rgfacts (third bullet, also seventh)

Also this screenshot: http://elektra.sourceforge.net/#edit
Which shows using any text editor (including vi) to edit an export of a subtree.

The idea is to create such a level of integration between
applications, that you probably won't need to edit configuration by
hand. Software will do this for you.
How many times per year you edit modern windows registry by hand? How
many times per year you edit GConf keys by hand ?

Regards,
Avi