print configuration

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Wed Dec 1 16:35:58 UTC 2004

tir, 30.11.2004 kl. 21.08 skrev Trever L. Adams:
> On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 20:49 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > To share it using cups, make sure your other computers actually could
> > lookup your dns name to your IP.
> >

> That is done. Do I actually need to set one in the cupsd.conf or does it
> automatically grab one?

the cups server automathically grabs the box'es current hostname.
The clients got to be able to look whatever that is (look in
http://localhost:631 on the client to see) up back to the IP of the box
sharing.

Try to run "host dns-to-server" on client. try to ping it as well (as
the resolver refuses to resolv anything else that fqdn-names.

Funny if the client is not able to look up the server, even funnyer if
the server claim's it has the name "localhost" :) Try it, print
something to it from the client. But have a terminal ready to do a
/etc/init.d/cups stop and then a rm -rf /var/spool/cups/*

;)

> > Also drill a hole for port 631:udp in the client's firewall.
> >

> Right now, silly, I know, there is no firewall within my network. There
> is one on the route to the outside world. This will probably be
> changing, but it isn't right now.

If you are behind NAT and firewall, you should not need it...

> > To have it shared via samba, i think installing and starting it is
> > enough.
>
> Hmm, you are correct. I wasn't seeing printers where I looked. Ooops,
> wrong location.
>
> So the question is, how can I tell if cupsd is allowing the browsing. I
> am watching with Ethereal and I see nothing. In my apps I see nothing.

If cupsd is running, it should be advertising its printers (via udp:631
broadcast) pretty often.

> Also, I noticed that in the printer definitions in cupsd.conf (defs is
> wrong, more like acl) I see that the order is deny,allow and the first
> line is deny all even though a few lines later it says allow everyone.
> Is this accurate?

Hmm... I *know* it is in Norwegian, but the config files are pretty
standard. Had to use some vendor-supplied drivers for a Lexmark
laserprinter....

http://forum.hardware.no/index.php?showtopic=238474&view=findpost&p=2134794