i486 base architecture

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Dec 2 09:17:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:10:04PM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Prolly the strongest mechanism is to attach a run-time probe dependency to
> the "cpu(...)" name space and parse /proc/cpuinfo for the relevant info.
> That mostly works, but will have problems in chroot's w/o /proc mounted,
> and will be kinda weird if/when, say, the mobo or disk is moved amongst
> machines, to mention just 2 possible problems off the top of my head.
>
> I suspect those deficiencies can be lived with, and are no worse than
> existing arch based tests.
Would there be any compilications if the thing was generalized and
you could do Requires-Return-Code: /usr/lib/rpm/check-x86-cpu-flags cmov
(or whatever the syntax would be, basic idea is that there's some
external thing that exits with 0 or 1).

In any case, such a thing should be easy to override, even when
using a frontend like yum.

--
Pekka Pietikainen