Kudzu and automatic detection

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 15:07:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 10:00, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:56:24 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I would just disable kudzu.  HAL handles hotplug printing now.  Perhaps
> > we should turn off the printing module in Kudzu for FC4.
>
> I personally have a poor understanding of the functionality split
> between kudzu and hal now.
> Maybe we need an assessment of the overlap not just for printers but
> in a general view.
> -jef

That would be a good idea.  The hope is that one day we can move Kudzu
to use HAL's detection code.  It was a bit early when I replied before
but now that I think about it I remember why I didn't ask for Kudzu to
drop the printer detection module.  HAL handles hotplug devices but can
not handle static devices like those attached to parallel and com ports.
We can't just yet assume that legacy devices don't exist anymore so
taking it out of Kudzu would have been a regression.  We might be able
to tell Kudzu to ignore USB and Firewire devices.

--
J5