Kudzu and automatic detection

Mon Dec 6 18:22:30 UTC 2004

Le lundi 06 décembre 2004 à 12:49 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:54:46AM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:13:51 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> > > Of course there is, what do you mean "kudzu properly removes/adds printer".
> > > This is silly, once it's added and configured, it shouldn't remove/add
> > > it on every reboot!
> >
> > If a piece of hardware is no longer available, shouldn't it be unconfigured?
>
> I don't know about that, and really I don't much care about unconfiguring
> stuff. My understanding of the original post was that kudzu would try to
> reconfigure the printer on every reboot, which is simply foobared.
>
> Now, I have seen this a few times on my boxes:
>   kudzu: your XYZ have been removed from your system. Remove configuration?
>   me: eh, yes?
>   kudzu: your XYZ have been added to your system. Configure device?
>   me: why, you little...!
>
> I don't care about some deep technical discussion on why this makes sense,
> becuase it just doesn't.

1. it does if you don't want do do lot of coding
2. it doesn't from a normal user point of view
3. as a result kudzu won't be installed on any serious rawhide system
because it is plain annoying (just like the up2date applet we've been
discussing some weeks ago)
4. therefore it won't be tested

Rawhide is a testing ground for FC & RHEL. However to be tested it needs
to be dogfoodable. Numerous past and present examples (selinux, up2date,
kudzu, hal auto printer) show Rawhide users just disable the parts that
get too annoying (and this include RedHat people themselves).

> Yes, if you have to do it every time you start your box.
> Imagine if your had to reconfigure your desktop every time
> you started X.

For printers autodetection it's worse. My printer is shut down a lot
more often that my system. As a result, I've long since disable all the
automated stuff (kudzu, cups hal...) that made me loose 5 min every time
I touched the printer power button.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot