Thunderbird 1.0 and Enigmail

matt whiteley mattwhiteley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:13:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:34:30 -0500, Christopher Aillon
<caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> The problem will always exist as long as they are not maintained by the
> same people and thus on different release cycles.  The basic nightmare
> is: new release by mozilla, enigmail is broken until a new release of
> it.  Generally, this is fairly quick, but it is unreliable, and when
> time becomes important (say for security updates), you can see where
> this becomes a problem.
>
> I would very much applaud and offer what assistance I can to an effort
> to get Enigmail integrated into Mozilla Thunderbird's source, as I think
> that is the ideal solution here.

Makes a lot of sense, and I am not familiar with the mozilla code base
so this may be an ignorant question. When I download the thunderbird
build from mozilla, I can then install engimail in it as a user. When
I install the fedora rpm, I cannot install this same xpi file. It
makes sense to me that enigmail cannot be easily shipped in Fedora but
can the rpm be built so as to allow me to install it as a user in
~/.thunderbird/blah.default/extensions ?

Is this already possible, and I am just doing something wrong?

--
matt whiteley <mattwhiteley at gmail.com>