Wine/Cedega and fedora 3

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Dec 8 17:49:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:39 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Most commercial games are developed on 2000 or XP and yet still support
> 98.  Windows does not generally break compatibility and does not
> generally have magic compilations environments where the exact same
> source can end up with wildly different binary requirements and
> interfaces depending on where and when it was compiled.  I don't expect
> Linux to be at that level of interface stability at this moment, but I
> do expect to at least be slowly moving towards it, eventually.

None of the Need For Speed games from EA from v3 (including Porsche
Unleashed) and earlier work on Win2K/XP/NT at all.  EA declines to fix
this.  It most certainly happens on Windows.  Or how about a vendor of
certain moving-message sign software that requires a specific version of
Java that only works on < 2000?  There are tons of smaller cases where
certain apps don't work on newer versions of Windows that are based on
NT because they were designed for 95/98/ME only.  What do NT/Win2k/XP
users do then when they wish to upgrade?

Dan