RFC: root/non-root bash prompts different colours?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Wed Dec 8 18:02:22 UTC 2004

Hi

> I'd say no regardless. It's too dificult to choose
> appropriate colours.

I dont think so. with some amount of careful thought
it should be possible
Though I think
> if someone's managed to find that out how to become
> root on the command
> line they should be aware enough of what they're
> doing.

Not necessarily. Its a problem of educating the user
better. If it has a distintive prompt (maybe red?)
suggesting the user be careful when working with it,
this can be useful. Many distros have a unique
wallpaper on the desktop for root users for example.
Ubuntu has choosen to use sudo since they are focussed
on the desktop

If fedora was catering just to old time unix users who
are used to working with Linux on the server, then
this definitely is not needed but since its trying to
be appealing to everyone including newbies, it is
important that we do something like this. Not
necessarily what was suggested in the bug report
(consider that a arbitrary exmaple) but something
similar

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram