Upgrading readline

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 8 19:11:14 UTC 2004

Tim Waugh wrote:

>For upgrading readline to a new major release (in Fedora development),
>do I need to provide a readline4 package, or is it sufficient to just
>rebuild the packages that depend on it?

Prolly.

Alternatively, if the API changes aren't seriously different, you might just
as well add versioned symbols so that we can get rid of all this
compat-baggage
once and for all, and provide an explicit and trackable ABI in the same
soname
just like glibc does.

See elfutils for hints on serious and sober use of versioned symbols.

FWIW, I'm convinced that libselinux is going to need to undertake versioned
symbols Real Soon Now as well, bit that's fedora-selinux, not
fedora-devel, fodder.

73 de Jeff