RFC: root/non-root bash prompts different colours?

P at draigBrady.com P at draigBrady.com
Thu Dec 9 14:19:48 UTC 2004

Jonathan Andrews wrote:
> Yes, im aware of how to change it on a per machine basis - my home
> machines have modified DIR_COLORS and DIR_COLORS.xterm ....... But I was
> complaining about the default. Its also not practical to modify every
> machine I have to administer in a working week - or desirable for me to
> confuse other admins by changing things on a persistent basis, so
> 'unalias ls' is a quick way to ensure I can at least read the session.
> If the default wasn't dark blue it wouldn't be an issue, I cant be alone
> in finding the dark blue unreadable on a black background on most
> monitors.

I agree. However things are setup for light coloured
terminals by default. Though that begs the question of
why virtual terminals are dark by default. Note to change this:

setterm -background white -foreground black -store && clear

It's also worth noting that the colors used for dark terminals
are quite useable on light terminals but not vice versa.

Anyway I've got some notes for setting various terminal
apps up for dark terminals here:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/darkterm.html

--
Pádraig Brady - http://www.pixelbeat.org