Fedora Extras, Fedora Core CVS Open!

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 03:01:28 UTC 2004

Dag Wieers wrote:
> I'm willing to commit a big chunk of my packages if SPEC files can be used
> for multiple distributions/releases and there's infrastructure to avoid
> having to fork SPEC files if unnecessary. (I don't care about a specific
> implementation and am open to discuss alternatives)
>
> A big part of the packages don't require a mandatory fork or don't require
> dist-specific macros. And an even bigger part only has a few macros.
>
> Fedora Extras has to decide whether it will allow those extra macros to
> make it easier to manage SPEC files or if they fork for each new Fedora
> release. There are a few drawbacks, but imnsho there are more advantages.
> (less maintenance required, more communities/resources involved, RHEL
> users don't have to fork Fedora stuff and vice versa, ...)

We can examine proposals for additional macros for technical merit after
things settle down.  Right now I am skeptical, but willing to read and
experiment later.  No promises though.

> Only fork SPEC files when the complexity of maintaining them becomes
> harder than the complexity of keeping things synchronised.

This is generally how the old fedora.us operated, but things are
changing now.

With CVS I personally find it easy to maintain forks in a way similar to
how I manage the gaim package in FC4/FC3/RHEL4/FC2/RHEL3.  Imposing hard
coded distribution names and numbers in .spec makes things far more ugly
IMHO.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com