Fedora Extras, Fedora Core CVS Open!

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 17 06:40:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Cristian Gafton wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > You're right about devel, but why worry if it still builds on older
> > releases if your premise is to not release a newer package for
> > older releases anyway ? Either you care about releasing it for older
> > distributions or you don't. If you don't, you're just developing and not
>
> I care about being able to do a security update for an older release that
> doesn't necessarily force to to upgrade to the "latest and greatest". Call
> that a scar of RHEL maintenance... :-)

Of course, but then you don't care about synchronizing things. You're
ignoring examples as Gaim and most packages in fedora.us that were kept in
sync for older distributions if they build fine and worked fine.

That's not a policy you want for Fedora Core, but that was the policy for
fedora.us. If you release clamav, you want it all over the spectrum not
just for the latest release.

If that's decided to be the future direction of Fedora Extras, than that's
fine. But please say so now instead of speculating or giving unofficial
opinions, because frankly, I don't know when it's an official position and
when not. And a @redhat.com email makes every shared thought close to
official :)