svn or arch

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 22:52:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Dries Verachtert wrote:

> Is it maybe possible to give already a little bit of information about this
> fedora build system? For example what i'm interested at: what is the minimal
> set of packages which are installed within each buildroot? Is it possible to

Look at the comps.xml file. You can depend on having in the buildroot the
packages from the @base and @development-tools groups. Everything else
will have to be BuildRequires:'d in the src.rpm.

The build root setup script installs the @base and @develoment-tools
packages and then looks at the src.rpm's Buildrequires and attempts to
solve those. Once that is done, the package build script chroots into the
newly created buildroot and issues an rpmbuild --rebuild for the src.rpm
as a non-root user.

> give a list of packages for each distro/arch? People who are willing to
> contribute, can already start with modifying their spec files according to
> this lists so they can be added faster when the cvs is open and the build
> system is ready.

I'll see what I can do to publish the builroot setup script so that you
can check whether your BuildRequires are complete.

> An example: is gcc-c++ installed by default or should it be included in the
> BuildRequires of each c++ program?

No, the development tools like compilers, make, autconf are assumed to be
available. I realize that the @development-tools group might be broad for
some tastes; later on we'll look at eventually reducing the scope further
of what is assumed to be in the buildroot; for now that is a relativey
sane and safe compromise, I think.

Cristian
Cristian Gafton     --     gafton at redhat.com      --     Red Hat, Inc.
"Linux is a leprosy; and is having a deleterious effect on the U.S. IT
industry because it is steadily depreciating the value of the software
industry sector."
     -- Kenneth Brown, President, Alexis de Tocqueville Institution