Fedora Extras (was Re: RPM tools)

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Mon Dec 20 09:06:21 UTC 2004

On Monday 20 December 2004 15:49, seth vidal wrote:
> cool?

It's cool. Congrats to you and others going through all the politics to
get this stuff through the pipe.  Obviously, it's a long time coming.
Coming from a corp of around 3000 people and personally pushing several
process changing initiatives, I know the timeframes and what it takes
for things of this magnitude to happen.

I know you're not Redhat.  But, you're still very much in the know.

I don't want to debate, but rather work on helping on the technical
details. That's why I recommended a specific project centered around
the build system.

I think the endless thread opened up as the result of Extras lacking in
clearly defined objectives.  Is it only FCX and FCX-1?  Or does the
infra provide support to others?  Is it an endless pit of packages or
is it moderated by Redhat? Etc. I'm certain these will be eventually
resolved, but in the interim I wouldn't entirely discount these
discussions as "needing to die" because they are healthy to talk about.
Since they're coming from packagers that are being asked to join in to
participate.

Lastly, remember that we're volunteers.  Well, those of us
non- at redhat.com'ers anyway.  We want to help.  That's why we're still
here (the weenies left last year).  If we sometimes come out with
Clueless Idiot emails, I hope that that in itself will be a clue as to
the lack of information out there.

Thanks for your answers, your blog, your yum, your info, your input.  It
definitely allows us to gain insight into the process and allows me to
say, yeah I'd like to dive in and help.

take care,
--
-jeff