[ RHEL4 == Fedora core 3 ]

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Mon Dec 20 17:24:29 UTC 2004

Dear James,

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 08:57 -0800, James Harrison wrote:
> Are the two products the same?

While the two products are - not - the same, Red Hat has announced that
it will base RHEL 4 on Fedora Core 3.

In a similar vein, RHEL 3 is based on Red Hat Linux 9. I remember doing
a diff on the package names, and about 25% were identical (and I think
another 25% were similar enough to make little difference). RHEL 3 final
ended up with about 400 fewer packages. The beta for RHEL 4 certainly
looks similar to FC 3. Whether RHEL 4 final follows the same pattern is
TBD.

Thanks,
Mike