%ghost .pyo

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Dec 22 16:29:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:48:29PM +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 21:29, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > > Do note that the base python package does distribute pyo, it's the
> > > modules and apps that %ghost them in the fedora.us template.
> > >  (Unless the python package has been changed in Rawhide...)
> >
> > Yep.  And that's 17 MB I have to reclaim manually on my laptop.
>
> Fun. Is it worth it? Technically, you can also manually reclaim all the
> *.py files from your disk and still operate. You'd save roughly 2 times
> the amount of pyo reclamation.  Do you do that too?

Nope. But I have considered deleting the .pyc files when I'm in a crunch.
(I need the space, but I'm also developing in python and sometimes it's
handy to reference python source of the libraries.)  That said, if python
was split so I could uninstall an rpm package that had all the py files, I
might do that.

Like I say, it's not worth it on my desktop.  But on my laptop with limited
HD, there are times when it's necessary to free up a few extra MB to make
things fit.  As you marvelously deadpan, Fun.

-Toshio