why doesn't yum cache anything?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Dec 31 16:41:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 05:55 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 10:50:26PM -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> > It takes *nearly a minute* to do that!  I'm on a 2GHz machine.
> > If it's not hitting the net, what's it doing, raytracing?
>
> Demonstrating the myth that interpreted languages are fast enough.
>
> It is actually doing a fair bit - its computing the dependancies, checking it
> won't clash, checking the files fit etc

To be clear. The part I _think_ Jamie is complaining about is just
importing the metadata. And I agree with Daniel, it's all tied up in the
python interning of the strings.

There are a few ways to 'solve' the problem:
1. use a python xml library that does it all internal to python which
should remove the translation issue.
2. thin out the metadata (reduce the number of nodes).
 2a. alternatively, reorganize some of the metadata so it's faster to
get to specific information.
3. write the xml importing layer in C. Since this would require that I
learn how to adequately program in C before going on I think this part
is unlikely.
4. ignore it for long enough and machines will just speed up. :)

-sv