rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Feb 1 08:46:34 UTC 2004

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>

>>>Mike A. Harris     ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
>>>OS Systems Engineer - XFree86 maintainer - Red Hat
>>
>>One thing I'm willing to test is 3D support for Radeon IGM cards (like
>>the one on my laptop). Since you're an XFree maintainer at RH, could you
>>help me test it without seriously breaking FC?
>

> Radeon IGP 3D support is not present in XFree86, including the
> upcoming 4.4.0 release.  It is present only in DRI-CVS as
> experimental support which is in a developmental state.
>
> I do not have Radeon IGP hardware and do not generally use
> DRI-CVS except to cvs rdiff out bug fixes occasionally, and to
> occasionally check in bug fixes.
>
> The DRI project website has a lot of both developer and end user
> documentation on using DRI-CVS as well as binary driver
> snapshots.  I can't help you directly to get it working, but if
> you follow the documentation and/or ask for help on the DRI
> mailing lists, someone might be able to help you to get it to
> work.
>
> Also, since I often get asked - I have no plans of including this
> into our XFree86 until it is considered stable and mainstream.
> With the current flux going on over at XFree86.org right now, it
> isn't even clear wether XFree86 will exist in a few months or
> not, so it could be a while before this is supported.

May I also point out that this kind of non-canon package is exactly what
we intended to exist in "Fedora Alternatives".  I am thinking now that
Alternatives will contain sub-projects like this, specifically packaged
for Fedora Core by volunteers who actually use it, and either
experimental in nature or conflicting in nature.  Alternatives would be
available in many non-canon apt/yum/up2date channels that you can add to
your configurations and aside from being distributed from
download.fedora.redhat.com you must rely entirely on the community
developers for support.

Warren