Dell laptop C640 and suspend

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 4 18:06:19 UTC 2004

Florian La Roche wrote :

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:47:58PM +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > My Dell C640 has problems after suspend. I currently run the newest
> > upstream driver copied into a Fedora Core 1 install and that works
> > without any problems. Does anyone know what change has to be applied
> > ontop of the RH src.rpm to fix this?
>
> Ewwp. This is with the radeon driver of course.

I've just switched my good old Inspiron 8000 (3 years old!) for a 8600
which has an ATI Radeon Mobility 8600 card. With the latest 2.6 kernel from
FC development, I can actually get the system to go into suspend (3) mode,
but when restoring, the display does something nasty and unrecoverable when
in X, or stays completely off when in console mode. I can actually "use"
the system once resumed, i.e. type "reboot", but can't see anything on the
screen and don't know of any way to get the display back :-(

This is with XFree86 4.4RC2 as 4.3 doesn't recognize the card, and the
binary ATI drivers have broken Xv output and killed the graphic card last
week (I had to have it replaced yeasterday...).

ACPI is great, but soooooo flaky. Too bad, but it should keep on getting
better. Sorry if this hadn't much to do with your initial question, but I'm
not even sure I actually understood it :-) Mine is, "what can I do to have
my display switch back on after a suspend to ram"? Can it be a BIOS
problem, kernel problem?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.6.1-1.61
Load : 0.90 0.57 0.52