Will FC2 move towards mdadm for all software raid config

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 17:19:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 04:57 -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2004 08:41, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> > > So FC2 will still use /etc/raidtab to configure software-raid ?
> > > Would FC2 boot-up sequence (post-install) ever understand
> > > /etc/mdadm.conf ?
> >
> > Seth Vidal and a few other people are doing the work necessary to get
> > FC2 mdadm ready.  As mentioned the big blocker currently is modifying
> > anaconda to use mdadm instead of raidtools.  The userland changes are
> > minimal.  If you know python, ping Jeremy Katz.
>
> Is he on the list? If so .. PING.
> :)

Of course I am.

> I'm pretty good with Python, but have yet to dig into Anaconda. Jeremy,
> if this isn't something you need to know Anaconda source very well for
> (or something a non-Anaconda source Python guy could deal with), let me
> know, I'll do what I can.

It shouldn't be too terribly difficult, although the hard part is
testing it and making sure it all works :-)  anaconda-devel-list has a
couple of posts from me describing how to use an updates.img for easier
testing (basic summary: make an ext2 image, drop it as Fedora/base/
updates.img, mount via loopback, copy updated python files there).

The basic idea of what needs changing is to look at the RAID stuff in
fsset.py and convert it over from using the various raid-tools commands
to using mdadm based ones.  Also, there might be some changes needed in
raid.py, but I doubt it (since raid.py mostly just works with the
underlying ioctls)

Cheers,

Jeremy