Sound in rawhide

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Feb 6 00:57:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 16:19, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 17:40, Dax Kelson wrote:
>
> > ALSA defaults to muted.
> >
> > Run alsamixer and see if you have "MM" at the top of the "Master" or
>
> No dice.  I'm having the same problem and running alsamixer yields the
> following message:
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>
> FWIW, clicking on the volume applet in my gnome panel gives a "Couldn't
> open mixer device /dev/sound/mixer" and sure enough, there is no
> /dev/sound/mixer device file.  Do I need an updated dev package?  Need
> to create the node manually?  Are my modprobe.conf settings correct?

What output do you get with the following commands?

cat /proc/asound/version
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/devices
cat /proc/asound/oss-devices
cat /proc/asound/timers
cat /proc/asound/pcm

BTW, I'm running a 2.6 kernel on FC1 (not rawhide), and here is what I
put in my /etc/modprobe.conf:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0