fedora and kernel 2.6.1

Jay Turner jkt at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 12:44:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:56:12AM +0200, Budai Laszlo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile the 2.6.1 kernel on Cedora Core 1. I've downloaded
>  the source from kernel.org, and try to follow the readme for installing.
> a  did make menuconfig, select the things I need (ex3 extended
> attributes and posix ACL among them), then make, make bzImage, make
> modules make modules_install, make install.
> Before make install I've loaded the loop kernel module.
> When I try to boot the new kernel it hangs with the folloving error:
>
> VFS: cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block (0,0)
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

This is taking a complete stab in the dark, but by any chance does your
machine need an initrd in order to boot?  Boot back into a kernel which is
working, and check out the /boot directory and see if you see a file there
of the form "initrd-<some version number>"  If you don't have an initrd for
the version of 2.6 that you compiled from kernel.org, and you didn't
compile support for all the modules you need into the kernel, you'll
probably want to create an initrd.  Just run "mkinitrd" as root at a prompt
and it will return showing you an example which should help.  Basically
you'll run something like this:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-<kernel version>.img <kernel version>

- jkt
--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat, Inc.

        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                                                   - Albert Einstein