LVM1 to LVM2 plans for FC2

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 01:37:56 UTC 2004

On Jan 31, 2004, Paul Jakma <paul at clubi.ie> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> It just works, with some help from device-mapper.

> Any plans for FC1? I tried to upgrade an FC1 box to 2.6 + LVM2 using
> Arjan's sources, but it was impossible. For a start his lvm2 packages
> conflict with the regular lvm package.

Only the man-pages do conflict.  Installing with say --replacefiles
works around this problem.

Booting with LVM for the first time, if you have your root filesystem
in LVM, is a bit tricky.  I no longer remember exactly what I had to
do, but it took some hacking in mkinitrd to get it to set things up
for lvm2 for a 2.6 kernel even when the currently-booted kernel was
still 2.4, and then, on the first boot into 2.6 (that would fail to
remount the root filesystem), remounting it rw, moving the lvm device
files aside in /dev and running lvm vgmknodes and lvm vgscan --mknodes
(sp?)  to get lvm2 to create the devices using device mapper.  I
vaguely remember having had to run some command from nash to create
the device-mapper controlling block device, but it's been a while, so
I no longer remember the exact detail.  Have a look at the linuxrc
script generated by mkinitrd and you'll find the command there.

That said, since it was such a pain to switch back and forth between
2.4 and 2.6 in the same tree, I ended up removing 2.6 from my FC1
installs, and only using 2.6 in rawhide installs.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}