Spec file help

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Fri Feb 6 22:23:55 UTC 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 22:12, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:27:23 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > url: http://www.suretecsystems.com/docs/netmon_applet.spec
>
> Only skimmed over the spec without knowing the applet. A few errors in

Thanks, great to get help form experts.

I will leave the url as is.

> there in addition to what Karsten Hopp has mentioned already:
> > %prep
> > rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

OK

> Move the rm -rf line at the beginning of %install. It's there where you
> want the buildroot to be cleared (e.g. so consecutive short-circuit
> installs would work).
>
> > make
>
> make %{?_smp_mflags}
>
> E.g. to make the fedora.us build people happy.

OK, that was in first time.

> > %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> > export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
>
> This won't work and will not execute the script, because "-p
> /sbin/ldconfig" makes ldconfig the script interpreter.
>
>   %post
>   /sbin/ldconfig
>   export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`gconftool-2 --get-default-source`
>
> After seeing the %files list, I would say you don't run ldconfig at all,
> since your package doesn't add any libraries to directories mentioned in
> ld.so.conf.
>
> > %postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

I will take out both ldconfigs

> Same here. Not needed. Instead, with Fedora Core 1, gconftool-2
> has a --makefile-uninstall-rule, too.

Do I need to do anything with the --makefile-uninstall-rule ??

> With regard to the explicit dependencies,
>
> > Requires  : gnome-panel >= 0:2.0.0
> > Requires  : gtk2 >= 0:2.0.0
> > Requires  : libgnomeui >= 0:2.0.0
>
> are any these not covered automatically already in "rpm -qR package"?

Not sure. Should I just leave BuildRequires in then?

> > BuildRequires  : pkgconfig >= 0:0.10.0
>
> First version of pkgconfig included within Red Hat Linux 7.1 is
> Epoch 1 already.

I just made that version up :-( . I will get a more accurate version.

Thanks again.

- --
Regards,

Gavin Henry.