Spec file help

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Fri Feb 6 23:33:36 UTC 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 23:01, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:23:55 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > > Instead, with Fedora Core 1, gconftool-2
> > > has a --makefile-uninstall-rule, too.
> >
> > Do I need to do anything with the --makefile-uninstall-rule ??
>
> Undo in the %postun script what you install in the %post script?

done that. All amendments are done on the previous spec on
http://suretecsystem.com/docs/netmon_applet.spec

> > > With regard to the explicit dependencies,

> > > are any these not covered automatically already in "rpm -qR package"?
> >
> > Not sure.
>
> Query the binary package:  rpm -qR netmon_applet*

I can't this as I originally install from source and now the rpm won't build.
I get loads of:

Recursion depth(17) greater than max(16)
    File not
found: /var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/var/tmp/netmon_applet-/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/netmon_applet.debug
(sorry for the length)

I think the rm -rf in %install is causing this??

> All the libraries, which are listed as package dependencies, belong to
> packages. Package tools find out in what package to find a file (even rpm
> does that with the help of the RPM database in the rpmdb-fedora
> package). E.g. libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 is part of "gtk2", so you would not
> need an explicit dependency on "gtk2" if your applet is linked against
> that library. The dependency is determined automatically by rpmbuild.
>
> Or do you want to maintain such manually set dependencies and check them
> regularly? For instance, what happens if you use gtk2 2.2.4 and the next
> version of the applet no longer works with gtk2 >= 2.0.0 without
> mentioning that in the documentation?

This applet is for 2.x of gtk2. I need to read up more on the spec file as
this IS the rpm.... I am beginning to fell a little out of my depth here, but
your help is very appreciated.

> > Should I just leave BuildRequires in then?
>
> Of course, if that stuff is _required_ to build the package.

> > > First version of pkgconfig included within Red Hat Linux 7.1 is
> > > Epoch 1 already.
> >
> > I just made that version up :-( . I will get a more accurate version.
>
> Or omit the version altogether.
>
> Do you target a specific distribution? Or do you aim at providing a
> generic package for arbitrary distributions?

This is just for fedora.

> gnome-panel, gtk2 and libgnomeui > 2.0.0 were available in Red Hat Linux
> 8.0 already. If there's a specific reason why an explicit dependency [and
> even a versioned one] is needed, that should be documented in the spec
> file.

I have documented this with a # should be a %description type thing or can I
just use the # for comments?

Gavin.

- --
Regards,