Prelink hosed my binaries?

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sat Feb 7 02:07:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 20:31, Dax Kelson wrote:

> A couple days ago my co-worker was telling me that he turned on his
> previously fine FCv1 laptop and most of his binaries were hosed. On
> examination the binaries had log files (/var/log/*) contents
> interspersed through them.

Some of my binaries were OK.  Others still had ELF headers buried
inside.  For example, /usr/bin/ipcs has exactly 8k of garbage prepended
to it.  But if I strip off the 8k bytes, it's still quite corrupted.
Others show no signs of ever having been a binary at all.  Others have
an ELF header buried inside at some other point, e.g. 0x5620.

It does seem to be binaries only that are corrupt.  reiserfsck /dev/hdc2
finds absolutely no filesystem corruption.

I have not even tried to salvage my rawhide partition and am back to
FC1, however the rawhide partition still exists.

-Steve