release candidate zsh configs

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Feb 8 10:51:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 11:27, Eric Hattemer wrote:
> Considering that other shells don't do this, it seems strange, although
> not fundamentally wrong.  Someone might delete their .zshrc on purpose,
> then get it back the next day automatically.  But also, if someone ftped
> into their account, saw all these . files, and randomly started deleting
> them because they didn't understand them, at least zsh would
> automatically rebuild that stuff.  That's a problem at my university
> where a .login file is necessary for the default csh to function almost

I'd say the user just mustn't do that then ;-). The user can also
accidentally move some binary craft into .zshrc which would probably
cause it to go berserk and eat his mail ;-). I agree that it would be
nice to detect such screwups and _ask_ the user if the default
configuration shall be installed over the binary cruft the shell found.
But a missing .zshrc is a very valid configuration for me, so that
wouldn't apply here.

> at all.  So I agree it would be something you'd have to get zsh.org to
> accept, and it'd be controversial and different, though not neccessarily
> logically wrong.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com