RH updates on external packages

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Mon Feb 9 18:12:38 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've posted a similar request a while ago on fedora-list and got no answer
at all - I suppose it might fit better in here.

Some days ago I  received, from  fedora-announce, info on updated iptables
1.2.9-1.0. That'd be

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2004-February/msg00004.html

It happens that the announcement mentioned a new config option
(IPTABLES_MODULES_UNLOAD), so I went to iptables.org in order to learn
some more about it.

I couldn't find anything there on the topic (
http://iptables.org/files/changes-iptables-1.2.9.txt ) ; then it downed on

me that the Fedora update was 1.2.9-1.0 - this trailing _1.0_ suffix was
nowhere to be found on iptables.org (I might as well have missed something
there).

But the whole point I'd like to understand is more general and not
iptables-specific at all .

It seems that all updates to FC are published by _someone_at_redhat com_ .
So I ask - when RH updates a package in FC, might it make some ADDITIONAL
change to the original package ? I'm asking this due to the _1.0_ and to
the new switch which was not mentioned on the original changelog.

Would someone care to clarify ? Not necessarily on the specific iptables
package, but do outside packages receive additional changes before
becoming generally available for updating users' systems?

Any docs describing this process ?

Thnx

Thiers