I was wondering why fedora has choosen yum over apt-get

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 02:29:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 11:01 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:

> 1) Missing multilib support like yum or up2date currently has today.
> This is a medium priority that I probably need to force myself to work
> on because nobody else seems interested in working on this.  This makes
> me think... does not Debian have dual 32bit/64bit archs?  How do they
> handle multilib if their apt doesn't support it yet either?

The short answer: Dirty hacks with package naming. However, to their
credit, Debian seems to recognize this as a problem and some momentum is
occurring to enable true multilib.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not
to be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"