Compiling Fedora... athlon

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 11 19:43:00 UTC 2004

> I think that's an excellent reason to trust bugzilla! If you sent
> mail to a mailing list, and someone didn't have a chance to look
> at the problem for 18 months, they'd have completely forgotten
> that your report existed...

If a bug stays unfixed for 18 months then something must be seriously
wrong with the bug tracking/fixing process, whatever it is. Anyway,
fine... bugzillas shall be filed, since people are not happy with me
posting bugs on the "development" list. I will start by filing bugs for
libgnomeprint and fontconfig to make sure you don't forget about them :)

Speaking of which, it would be nice if bugzilla supported filing bugs
that relate to more than one component. That's one of the reasons
I prefer mail as the means of communication. Bugzilla's just a dumb
machine, and I much prefer to deal with a human that understands that
bugs are often related. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. And how can
I file a bug which does not relate to one of those components, but
something more general? (like the fact that fedora menus are a mess)
How can I file a bug whose component I do not know ... if something
broke in gnome, I know it's broken, and I have no idea which component
is responsible...

> Based on my current (mostly upstream GTK+) workload, I don't have
> a lot of flexibility in that at the moment, but I think it is an
> interesting policy question for Fedora in general - just how important
> is keeping the set of RPMS always recompilable with the current
> tree?

I'd like to know the answer too.

> Pro:
>  - People seem to be rebuilding RPMS a lot; if something breaks,
>    bug reports appear very quickly.
>  - Makes mass rebuilds to check, say, compiler changes, easier
>    if everything builds all the time.
>  - Generally good hygiene

I am compiling for athlon, because I'd like to benefit from the speed
optimizations for my arch. I would appreciate if things compiled. Then
Fedora could easily provide an athlon set of rpms one day.