Firefox as default browser in Fedora

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Feb 13 19:53:09 UTC 2004

stark wrote:
> It's important that we offer a stable environment with
> maximal technology offerings, but it's also important that
> users should be able to try out that technology in the
> form that they're most comfortable with....

Core can not offer all things to all people...
if you want to TRY OUT technology..you use the yet to be officially
created fedora extras repository when it becomes available.
Core can not have 17 different gecko base web browser
Core can not have 17 different wysiwyg editors
Core can not have 17 different instant message apps.
Core can't even possibly have all possible functionality one could
possibly want without serious bloating the number of cd images....

If Firefox only makes sense because its "the future"
then it should be considered for Core in "the future"

We can NOT keep adding more and more applications into Core without
seriously affecting the ease of installation. 7 packed binary disks
isn't something i look forward to downloading for fc4. People need to
think hard about the legitmate technical merit guidelines to use for
throwing things in and out of Core once Extras opens up. Having this
debate package by package, for every possible package that could be
included/exclude from Core is going to go no where fast.

-jef"i can't wait till Core takes up 3 dvd isos"spaleta