Firefox as default browser in Fedora

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sat Feb 14 22:58:21 UTC 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 05:36:10PM -0500, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> > I'd be more happy if that information, or a link to the FAQ, was
> > available at installation time. I haven't gone through an
> > installatation lately so I don't know if there's such an info on FC
> > installs.
>
> I seriously doubt this will happen ever...
> I seriously doubt that ANY mention of specific 3rd party repositories
> will be included in any install time documentation or any instructions
> that come as part of Fedora Core.
>
> There are several reasons I could argue. but I'll stay away from
> commenting on the legality of providing information or links to
> repositories containing software that is affected by the DMCA in the
> united states. I doubt few here are qualified and informed enough about
> the scope of the legal issues surrounding the DMCA to have a
> constructive conversation about the liabilities involved. Frankly it's
> not worth arguing about, because legal hurdles are not subject to the
> whim of public opinion.
>
> Let me instead say, that personally, I don't think its appropriate to
> single out a few 3rd party repositories for inclusion in a default
> config file.  I think 3rd party repositories have to build their own
> brand and name recognition, and I don't think its appropriate for Fedora
> Core to comment on which 3rd party repos are of value by placing them in
> the default configs.
>
> Instead, maybe there is a way to build a process by which it is easy for
> users to go to a repository website, click a single link, or drag and
> drop a link, to configure a new repository.
>
> -jef

Actually, my first thought and writing wasn't about repositories, but
installares that would fetch the binaries from the vendors' sites. Would
_that_ infringe on the DMCA?

It could be difficult to maintain, due to site changes and version updates,
but there could be a site with instructions for some software about how to
get the files and install it.

Had I more time and this discussion not started, I would hade made a proof of
concept and presented it for discussion, but almost all responses I got were
negative about other things: against existance of a "unsuported apps" menu,
that could confound people to think they were supported; against
repositores; against information on install time documentation about faqs or
repositories or 3rd party files.

If people are so opposed to the ideia then I'll leave it at that.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha