Perl requires/provides proposal

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Feb 15 08:11:22 UTC 2004

> On 15 Feb 2004 00:27:06 -0500, Chip Turner wrote:
>
>> Well, as Warren showed, this can break if another module provides that
>> directory (which can happen from a third part perl module, or even one
>> of our own).
>
> Ah, yes, I've had eliminated that from memory already. :)
> (though, 3rd party perl modules should not pollute a build environment)
>
> Dependence on a virtual capability is less likely to break, of course, if
> the virtual capability is well-maintained. E.g. when you create some of
> the virtual provides by examining @INC automatically. Perl 5.6.1 would not
> search in 5.6.0 site/vendor locations, for instance.

Should we leave the existing fedora.us Extras as-is, or should we provide
maybe a "perl-virtual" package that provides the equivalent virtual
provides as this new standard for FC2.  That way all perl modules from now
on can have theoretical compatibility and exact Requires, completely
avoiding these ugly hacks of requiring a directory.

Thoughts?

Warren