Thoughts on how to structure the release notes...

Edward C. Bailey ed at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 20:35:03 UTC 2004

Hello all,

    A while ago, I broached the subject of release notes quality on
fedora-list.  and asked for feedback on ways to make the release notes
better.  One of the subjects mentioned was to make the content more
accessible by splitting things up a bit more, possibly by using RPM's
package groups.

    I personally liked the concept behind that idea, though I thought using
more newbie-friendly groups might be a better choice.  Since the package
groups used by Anaconda are a bit easier to understand, I thought it would
be better to use the groups defined by the comps.xml file.

    My plan (for Fedora Core 2 Test 2) is to structure the release notes to
use the following list of groups.  That doesn't mean every one of these
groups will be present in the release notes -- only that, if something
needs to be said about a given package, that content will be put in the
release notes, under a heading reflecting that package's group.

    For example, if I need to write something about emacs, it'll appear
under the "Emacs" heading.  On the other hand, if nothing needs to be
written about emacs, the "Emacs" heading will not be present in the release
notes.

Here are some of the groups that are currently used in Fedora Core 2 Test
1:

Administration Tools
Authoring and Publishing
Base
Compatibility Arch Development Support
Compatibility Arch Support
Core
DNS Name Server
Development Libraries
Development Tools
Dialup Networking Support
Editors
Emacs
Engineering and Scientific
FTP Server
GNOME Desktop Environment
GNOME Software Development
Games and Entertainment
Graphical Internet
Graphics
KDE Desktop Environment
KDE Software Development
Kernel Development
Legacy Software Development
Mail Server
Network Servers
News Server
Office/Productivity
Printing Support
Ruby
SQL Database Server
Server Configuration Tools
Sound and Video
Supported Packages
System Tools
Text-based Internet
Web Server
Windows File Server
X Software Development
X Window System
XEmacs

These are not the only groups; there are also groups that relate to the
support of various languages.  There are quite a few, and given that I
doubt there would be much that needs to be written about them, I feel that
it would be easier to compress them into a single "Internationalization
Support" heading.  Here are the groups:

Arabic Support
Assamese Support
Bengali Support
Brazilian Support
British Support
Catalan Support
Chinese Support
Cyrillic Support
Czech Support
Danish Support
Dutch Support
Estonian Support
Finnish Support
French Support
German Support
Greek Support
Hebrew Support
Hungarian Support
ISO8859-2 Support
ISO8859-9 Support
Italian Support
Japanese Support
Korean Support
Norwegian Support
Polish Support
Portuguese Support
Romanian Support
Russian Support
Serbian Support
Slovak Support
Slovenian Support
Spanish Support
Swedish Support
Turkish Support
Ukrainian Support

Hmmm.  Of course, if there's not much of a chance that there will be a lot
of content for packages under these groups, maybe it doesn't matter, and if
something noteworthy about the kde-i18n-Hungarian package needs to be said,
perhaps it should be said under the "Hungarian Support" heading... :-)

In any case, what does everyone think?  Is this a good change, a bad
change, or just a change?

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/