rawhide report: 20040217 changes

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Feb 17 22:50:22 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 13:30, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 16:58, John Ellson wrote:
> > >- disable psaux emulation.
> >
> > So now I have no mouse at all.  Neither gpm nor X11.  Neither serial nor
> > usb.
> >
> > Do I need to manually change something in /dev or add something to
> > /etc/modprobe.conf ?
>
> anything using /dev/psaux should be changed over to use /dev/input/mice

Errk ... no, this is not sufficent ... "should be changed" ... sorry, that
does not cut it.

While I can understand that this change to the kernel is a good idea, a
statement in an email that it "should be changed" is not enough.

Who/what did the original sym-link of /dev/mouse to psaux anyway?  I assume
that it sould be system-config-mouse.  When I booted the new kernel, "stuff"
detected that the mouse setup was wrong and invoked the mouse config program
but it did not fix things.  Expecting a user to quess the right magic to do
to fix things should NOT be the way things are done.  What should have been
done is:

1.  Update system-config-mouse to set things up correctly.

2.  Add a requires to the kernel rpm for that version or later of
system-config-mouse.
--
Gene