Cleaning up "Preferred Applications" & Desktop Consistency

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Feb 19 11:17:00 UTC 2004

> On December 24, 2003 07:21, Warren Togami wrote:
>> 13) In the name of end-user application consistency, Konqueror could use
>> some extra key-bindings by default to make it behave like Mozilla.  The
>> following do not conflict with current Konqueror defaults.
>>
>> CTRL-W   Close current tab.
>> CTRL-+   Larger font.
>> CTRL--   Smaller font.
>
> Konqueror key bindings have been modified recently (ie. in the last week
> or
> so) for reasons similar to your own. Discussion has taken place on the
> kde-usability mailing list, so you should search the archives
> (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&r=1&w=2).
>
>> Other common Mozilla keybindings conflict with already defined Konqueror
>> bindings, and I really don't feel it is worth the emotional & political
>> fight to ask that they change.
>
> Some "unification" keybindings were decided against, because they were in
> fact
> disrupting the unification of KDE as a whole. For eaxmple, CTRL-wheel was
> proposed as a zoom control, like many other browsers do. But this was
> rejected because in every Qt app, CTRL-wheel works like page up/page down.
>
> The point is: you might be tempted to unify Konqueror with other browsers,
> but
> don't forget that you will probably be breaking unification within KDE. So
> your best bet is to CC: every change to kde-usability at mail.kde.org,
> especially if the KDE community has any worth to you.
>
>> Any active KDE developers here?  Could you please get these checked-in
>> so it can be in KDE 3.2?  RH/Fedora will not apply this change, and we
>> will only have it if upstream applies it.  Please confirm in a reply
>> when it has been submitted.
>
> This is a good policy. Check the current 3.2 configuration, I think has
> what
> you want. If not, tell me what you need and I'll get kde-usability to
> discuss
> it.

Please review and discuss these proposed changes upstream and report back.
 If they reject a certain change, it would help if you can get reasons.

Font Bigger
CTRL+= Shortcut (proposed)
CTRL=+ Alternate (proposed)
This simple change would make it behave exactly like Mozilla's defaults.

Clear Location Bar
Ctrl+L Shortcut (proposed)
Simple addition makes it behave very similar to Mozilla.

Full Screen Mode
Ctrl+Shift+F Shortcut
F11 Alternate (proposed)
Simple addition makes it behave like Mozilla and Internet Explorer while
retaining the previous shortcut.

Activate Next Tab
Ctrl+. Shortcut
Ctrl+] Alternate
Ctrl+PageDown (proposed)
Add Mozilla's binding if possible as another alternate, or replacing the
less popular of the two current methods.  Which is the less popular of the
two?  The PageUp and PageDown seems to be a standard for changing between
tabs across many GNOME apps.  Is there a KDE equivalent standardized?

Activate Previous Tab
Ctrl+ Shortcut
Ctrl+[ Alternate
Ctrl+PageUp (proposed)
Add Mozilla's binding if possible as another alternate, or replacing the
less popular of the two current methods.  Which is the less popular of the
two?  The PageUp and PageDown seems to be a standard for changing between
tabs across many GNOME apps.  Is there a KDE equivalent standardized?

New Tab
Ctrl+Shift+N Shortcut
Ctrl+T Alternate (proposed)
Open Terminal currently uses Ctrl+T.  This may be a controversial change
for this reason.  The Ctrl+T function of Mozilla is heavily used.  If KDE
does not accept this change upstream, I may personally lobby for it for
Fedora defaults anyway.  Open Terminal would then need a different default
shortcut.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com