RFC: Tripwire name change

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Feb 22 14:35:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

>locale translations, is abhorrent, and I must say, very un-Linux. At the
>very least, the catalog entries should have been hard locked to a specific
>version of each package, that way if the versions don't match, then the
>contents of the specspo catalog are ignored. That particular omission is
>what amazes me most ... it defies belief, but then I guess that's an RPM
>bug, not specspo which is, after all, only data files.

That would not work because then every single time a new rpm
package is built, one would have to edit specspo to update all
the version numbers.  Since the description text is something
that rarely if ever changes in most packages, having to manually
update specspo every time would not be very convenient.  It would
be annoying to the point that developers would probably refrain
from building packages as often, and instead wait much longer
between updates to avoid the specspo update penalty.

>Anyway, I'll wait a few days, then if there are no major issues,
>I'll go ahead and change the name of the Tripwire package
>(actually it's done already, I just haven't posted to bugzilla
>yet).

Since we do not ship tripwire anymore, and haven't since RHL9, if
it isn't already removed from specspo, it would make a lot of
sense for us to remove it IMHO.

/me who hates mixed case package names, including XFree86