chown xxx.yyy is now rejected

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 19:56:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:46:10 -0500
>From: Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com>
>To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: chown xxx.yyy is now rejected
>
>On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:14:16PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
>> The 'chown xxx.yyy' syntax has been deprecated for several releases
>> now, the correct syntax being 'chown xxx:yyy'.
>
>Doesn't this add a new restriction about ":" in usernames ?

I want to use the greek letter pi in usernames personally.

Also, the artist formerly known as "Prince" who I believe is now
once again known as "Prince", might have wanted to have an
account created using his interim name, of which I'll refer to as
<french horn symbol> for my lack of knowledge of where that
resides in Unicode.  ;o)