Athlon Incompatible Packages

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 09:24:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:53:13AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> >Seems to me that this is not a bug, but an intentional decision.  Either
> >way, outside of the fact that any efficiencies you got from the recompile
> >would probably never make up the number of CPU cycles required for the
> >build,
>
> Why do gentoo users make such a huge deal out of this?

Because their systems are so busy building open office 24 hours a day they
don't do serious benchmarking ? From a compiler point of view there isnt really
a lot of difference between optimising for 686 and optimising for 686 using
686 only instructions. It primarily effects "cmov".

On the kernel side its a bit different, as with glibc internals.

The thing that makes the difference on many setups I've tried is -Os
(optimise for size not speed)