Athlon Incompatible Packages

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Feb 24 14:18:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 07:45, Jay Turner wrote:
> Point of order here.  We do actually try our best to make sure that every
> SRPM which leaves the building can recompile successfully.  From time to
> time, we hit a particularily difficult package (OpenOffice for a little
> while) which won't recompile, but we work to fix those issues (and
> OpenOffice nows compiles again.)

If I understand this thread correctly, we have one person asking whether
it's a bug that certain arches are being specifically excluded from
being targetted.  Other people are answering that the potential gain is
so small no one is going to put effort into it.

So far I don't see that there's a big conflict in the two views.  It
_would_ take a little effort to remove the exclusions from the spec
files, true. But if it is intended that SRPMs will recompile
successfully outside of Redhat and there's no good reason an arch is
disallowed then it seems like it's a (low priority) bug to me.

If someone who actually cares about the (possibly psychological) gains
they can get by devoting their time to testing and submitting patches to
build targetting other arches, doesn't it benefit everyone to apply
those patches?  Are we talking about reviewing three line patches here,
or fifty?

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>