latest update

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 27 08:00:35 UTC 2004

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	fedora-devel-list-admin at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-devel-list-admin at redhat.com]  On Behalf Of Mark McLoughlin
Sent:	Friday, February 27, 2004 2:26 AM
To:	fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
Subject:	RE: latest update

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 23:34, Richard Hally wrote:
> I understand it is  "development" ! (eats babies) 8-).
> This just happened,  ~ 5 PM eastern.  I've been having very inconsistent
> results using yum. For example, it tells me "no packages available for
> update" when I know there are packages to update.
> If I try it with just download.fedora.Redhat.com the failover method
> sometimes fails, when I try it with several mirrors in addition to
> download.fedora.Redhat.com sometimes it works and some times it doesn't.
>
> My question is: is this normal? If not am I doing some thing wrong and
what
> additional information will be useful in finding out what? Should I cut
and
> paste terminal output with date and time and yum.conf?

	It appears to be normal, but what I'm quite surprised about is that
there appears to be no --just-do-the-best-you-can flag for yum?

Yikes!   It is surprising that yum operates so inconsistently. If you do the
same thing twice one right after the other you can get different results.
The thing that bothers me is the "false negative" saying that there is
nothing to update when in fact there is. But that kind of stuff is for the
"yum list" isn't it.

Richard Hally