$RPM_BUILD_ROOT != %{buildroot} (was:Re: Prelink success story :))

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 11:57:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

>> I'm kindof rather amused by people arguing over "Which should be
>> used $RPM_BUILD_ROOT or %{buildroot}?" so violently.
>
>I don't see any violence here. You should not have skipped the messages.
>if want to build an opinion.

I haven't skipped any messages. I have however formed an opinion.

My opinion is that a lot of people like to argue endlessly about
very pointless and trive details of rpm packaging, to extreme
pedantism.  Most of the arguments being purely of preferential
nature, with no real right or wrong way, although both sides
will generally declare their way right, and the other way
totally and insanely wrong.  The other side then argues back with
a similar but inverted argument, pointing out equally
preferential arguments to prove the first person (or people) are
wrong and they are right.

In the end, nothing actually happens other than 2 groups of
people arguing with each other, neither of whom is going to
convince the other group to change their mind.  Nobody changes
their mind, and each group goes on doing things the way that they
think is best, and then attacking each other once every n
days/weeks/months whenever another person brings up the same
topic.

It really is very much like vi vs. emacs.