Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 19:42:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 13:56, Jon Atkinson wrote:
> It would be nice, when Fedora has matured a little (FC3/4?) to see a
> higher level of support and promotion of the FTP install feature. I know
> anaconda does support FTP installs, but there is very little in the way
> of (obvious) documentation of this feature, and from what I've heard and
> personal experience it is a little flaky. I am an ex-Debian user and I
> liked the way I could burn a 50mb ISO and run the installer then fetch
> packages from a local mirror. I know not everyone has DSL access, but a
> large and growing number of people do, and I think it may soon be time
> to rethink the ISO distribution model.

As of Fedora Core 1, the FTP install should be just as nice as every
other install method as you can do graphical FTP installs (assuming a
certain minimal amount of RAM so that we can pull the entire second
stage down or using the rescue cd image to start your install).  As Jef
said, there's not much in the way of docs of anything, but I don't see
how you can get more prominent mention than having it listed on the
install type screen with everything else :)

If you've had specific problems, *please* report them in bugzilla.  I am
not at all a mind reader and I can't fix things unless they're
reported.

As far as future stuff, I think that HTTP is actually far more relevant
than HTTP, but since the installer code is virtually identical for the
two, that's irrelevant.  I'd like to get to where we can have a simple
mirror list available and you can get sort of a "choose your mirror"
sort of things for where to do your install from, but I'm not sure
that's going to happen in the timeframe for FC2.  Especially as the time
is dwindling for making large installer changes (I tend to try to stop
those by the first test release so that sane testing can be achieved)

Cheers,

Jeremy