Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Tony Grant tony at tgds.net
Sat Jan 3 08:28:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 06:56:40PM +0000, Jon Atkinson wrote:

> > It would be nice, when Fedora has matured a little (FC3/4?) to see a
> > higher level of support and promotion of the FTP install feature. I know
> > anaconda does support FTP installs, but there is very little in the way
> > of (obvious) documentation of this feature, and from what I've heard and
> > personal experience it is a little flaky. I am an ex-Debian user and I
> > liked the way I could burn a 50mb ISO and run the installer then fetch
> > packages from a local mirror. I know not everyone has DSL access, but a
> > large and growing number of people do, and I think it may soon be time
> > to rethink the ISO distribution model.

I started using FTP install about 4 years ago for the simple reason that
I had a floppy drive and no CD on my Sony Vaio C1XD. I would download
the Redhat ISOs to another machine on the network, mount the images and
extract everything then do my FTP install from that machine.

I discovered yum with Fedora and my current box was updated from Redhat
9 (FTP install from the Vaio BTW) via "yum upgrade".

With 512/128 aDSL the install took about an hour and a half -> two
hours. From memory FTP on the LAN takes about 45 minutes or about the
same time as from CD-ROM.

My objective is to upgrade several servers I run currently to Fedora
Core, and I will probably use yum. Several machines I administer don't
have a CD drive, they were installed over the LAN and I haven't had the
need for one.

I would rather see a base system and yum on a USB key rather than an
ISO.

My 0.02€

Tony Grant

--