Problem Upgrading from Ethereal 0.9.13-4.1 to Ethereal 0.10.0a-0.1

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Mon Jan 5 12:25:39 UTC 2004

> I got the rpm from
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/,
>
> Actually I wanted to install it on RH 7.3. (2.4.18-3)

You can't install rpms built for FC1 on RH7.3.

> But it gave the same result on FC 1 also.

The exact same result? libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) missing?

> One thing to note is I could
> not find files
>
> libcrypto.so.4
> libelf.so.1
> libnetsnmp.so.5
> net-snmp >= 5.0
>
> in RH 7.3. So i copied this files from FC1 to the relevent dir in RH 7.3.

That won't work. You need to get an rpm built for RH7.3.

> Is there any proper checklist that is to be followed when upgrading ?

Rule of thumb is that rpms built for a newer version of RH/FC will not
work on older versions. Sometimes, it's possible to rebuild the .src.rpm
on the older operating system.

/Peter