"Official" Companion (was Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS)

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:54:09 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl wrote:

> FWIW when I was in barnes & nobel the other day I saw a book called
> "Fedora Companion" It is by Red Hat Press and contained a 2 CD set of FC1 or
> so the label says. I did not buy it but for those of you wanting a stripped
> down version to install it appears that it is already available. You just
> have to buy the book. :-)

it's actually called "Official Fedora Companion".
And that makes me wonder.... what is the status of the documentation
subproject? I can't help be feel a little miffed that that
a for cost book...an "Official" book...covering things like installing
fedora is coming out before we have a rework of at least the Red Hat
linux install guide...into the Fedora install guide.
I'd personally like to see "Official" status to these sort of for cost
reference resources be withheld until after the documentation subproject
has a chunk of documentation available...in an effort to encourage
writers and editors to contribute to the documentation subproject as a
priority..over individual efforts.  Of course, it would do my mind some
good to know that the author of that "Official" companion book is active
in the official documentation subproject as well. But even then, I'm
still not sure I like the idea of deeming for cost resources "Official"
before the official documentation project has at least an install
guide...as a matter of policy to encourage people to work on the
"official" fedora documents.

This isn't exactly a complaint, since i'm not as in the loop on the doc
project as i could be..so my initial negative reaction could easily be
based on ignorance of where things stand. But it did make me raise an
eyebrow, because I want to see documentation coming out of the
documentation subproject be THE priority documentation. If the people
behind the documentation efforts like the "Official Fedora Companion"
book and the tutorials at fedoranews.org aren't contributing directly to
the official fedora doc subproject, that is a problem.

-jef"and wtf? 2 CD install media....thats inconceivable!!!!!!!"spaleta