Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Chip Piller piller at sns.gov
Mon Jan 5 15:49:21 UTC 2004

Alan Cox wrote:
> There are good reasons for trying to get a base setup down to 1 or 2
> CD's (and for
> workstation with basic languages it is btw in FC1). Firstly if you have
> a really dodgy
> CD drive then doing a minimal install of CD then using yum to pull the
> rest off another
> box is a lifesaver. Secondly for plenty of people 3 CD's is a lot of
> date, and a great
> way to exceed broadband limits in many places if they have broadband.

There seems to be interest in a 1 or 2 CD Fedora Core Distribution size,
for various good reasons.  In the previous thread on Fedora Core 2
Distribution Size it was mentioned that a single desktop environment
would go a long way towards achieving this goal.

I have not seen this discussed here but why not just go ahead and decide
to make GNOME the Fedora Core desktop?  Does it make sense to continue
with multiple desktop environments?

Reasons for making GNOME the Fedora Core desktop include:
1) Fedora, installer, config tools require python, GTK, Gnome
2) GNOME is supported by RedHat, Ximian, Sun, etc.
3) Userlinux.com (Bruce Perens) has decided to go with a single desktop
and chose to go with GNOME instead of KDE primarily because of the license
4) Keep it simple, make it "just work" philosophy

Maurice Piller