include much needed antivirus products in FC2

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon Jan 5 22:29:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Adam Debus wrote:

>> Try this sometime - process 100000+ pieces of mail a day and see if AV
>> scanning doesn't add much load? AV scanning centrally does NOT scale.
>>
>> Moreover - if you are always protecting your users then they will never
>> learn.
>>

>    Yeah, we tried that, in the end we discovered that it cost us much less
>to add another box to the mail cluster and scan the half a million mail
>messages a day instead of dealing with the support costs every time the
>latest mail worm came out, and everyone still hadn't patched their outlook
>express from the last worm. (which we ended up oursourcing, but that was for
>political reasons).

Same thing I have found in any large setting. THe costs of putting
anti-virus software on over 100 desktops in time, effort, extra
sysadmins, and a dozen other things... makes centralizing it better.

Stephen John Smoogen            smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 5-8058
Ta-03 SM-261  MailStop P208 DP 17U  Los Alamos, NM 87545